Sunday, August 29, 2010

Hello hello!!!!

It has been quite some time since my last update, and I apologize! I started this blog thinking I'd be posting after most runs, and well, that obviously hasn't happened.

Let's see, a lot has been going on since my last post. My runs have been getting longer and while some are easier than others, it seems to be going OK. I have been doing intervals during my weekend runs by running for 4 minutes and walking for 1. I have found that I average a faster per mile pace when I do this, and mentally it helps knowing I have a little walk break coming up.

I did have quite an adventure when running my 12 mile run last weekend. I met Matt halfway for fresh, cold water and a little pit stop. Well, my run was going GREAT. I was feeling good, and pumped. Then, well, here's an email I wrote to some friends...

I literally almost called 911 on myself. I woke up and my blood sugar was high so I gave myself some extra insulin and was just planning to test it every 45 minutes or so. It was running high, but I was feeling fine. Gave myself some insulin and met Matt at the 6 mile mark. Run was going well, faster than my anticipated pace and I was feeling good.

Well, after I met Matt I was on my way to finishing the 12 miles. I was starting to feel really hot and my tummy was warm (which is a sign for me that my blood sugar is getting pretty high) so I stopped to test. 501. It was running around 230-250 earlier. Go to give myself insulin and my pump is giving me an error message that one of the buttons is stuck. Oh crap. I play with it for a while and nothing is working. It keeps beeping and giving me the black circle (which means that it's not delivering insulin, that it's basically a goner). I immediately send Matt a text. I was about 2-2.5 miles from my car, no shade for me to walk in so I was walking super slow back to my car.

Matt wrote me back asking me where I was, what he needs to bring, etc. I kept walking, and I was feeling like GARBAGE. I finally got to the point where I had to stop because I thought I was going to pass out. I was debating calling 911 at this point. Luckily I was only sitting down for a couple of minutes before Matt pulled up. He brought me syringes and I was able to give myself a shot. Felt nauseaous for a good hour and a half after wards but now I'm feeling OK.

My insulin pump was totally dead, but luckily I was able to get a new one by monday so I only had to use shots for a couple of days. Pretty scary stuff though, and it taught me to carry a couple of syringes with me when I run and to ALWAYS have my phone with me.

This weekend I had some girlfriends visiting but my friend Terri said she'd run my 7 miles with me. It was a good run...I really enjoy running with someone, even if we are both rocking to our iPods and just running alongside eachother. Thanks for your support, Terri!

I made the decision to run the Virginia Beach Rock N Roll half marathon next weekend. It'll be my first time running half marathon distance, but I figure it'll be a good way to get my training run in and gain some confidence. Wish me luck! I'll be sure to post about it afterwards!

I'll try to get better about blogging too!! Hope all is well with my readers!

1 comment:

  1. You are going to have a fabulous half marathon! You're so ready for this!

    ReplyDelete