Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Quite a week!

Hi everyone!

Well, last week I was feeling kind of frustrated with the heat so I ended up re-joining the Y. I really, really do not like the treadmill. I get bored and I don't like people looking at me and my slowness. But, with heat indexes over 100 a lot of days, it must be done! So off I went to the Y.

Let me tell you - I had an AWESOME workout on the treadmill that day! I challenged myself to speed up to 6.0 mph (this is fast for me) for 1/10 of a mile every half mile. Then .15 mile, then 1/5...it kept the workout interesting and I had my fastest 3 mile time yet. I plan on using the TM only when I have to, because, well, the marathon isn't indoors. But I do plan on doing speed workouts like that when I do have to use it.

As I've mentioned before in my blog, the heat and resulting slowness has been getting me down. I emailed my uncle who coaches a cross country team for some advice on how to make it easier, avoid dehydration, that kind of stuff. He wrote me a very encouraging email with lots of good advice. At the end of it he said, "remember, you're out there. i admire every runner i see even if it's someone just shuffling along. they're out there." That made me feel better! I keep trying to remind myself that I'm doing it and that's what matters.

I mentioned a while ago that I was planning on re-joining weight watchers...well I joined a few weeks ago and have lost 2.2 pounds. Yay! Slow and steady!

Next week I will be in Asheville, NC for a work training thing so that will be a challenge with running. It looks like the hotel is across the street from a park, so I will definitely be exploring. And there is a fitness center so I can always treadmill if needed. Anyone have any tips for staying on your plan (both running and eating) when you travel? I'm bringing a bunch of healthier snacks with me and plan on just doing my best - lots of salad, grilled seafood, etc. Just because I am away from home doesn't mean it's an excuse to go crazy with the food.

Oh, and I'm going on a ghost tour! Fun. *scared*

No comments:

Post a Comment